NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
LOCAL LAW INTRO. NO. 16 of 2021
A LOCAL LAW AUTHORIZING 12 AND 13 YEAR OLD LICENSED HUNTERS TO HUNT DEER WITH A FIREARM OR CROSSBOW DURING HUNTING SEASON WITH THE SUPERVISION OF AN ADULT LICENSED HUNTER
DEPARTMENT OF ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT
Notice is hereby given that the Delaware County Board of Supervisors will hold a Public Hearing, Wednesday, May 26, 2021 at 12:45 p.m. in the Board of Supervisors’ Room of the County Office Building, 111 Main Street, Delhi, New York, concerning proposed Local Law as follows:
Introductory Local Law No. 16- Section I. The intent of this Local Law is to authorize Delaware County to permit 12 and 13 year-old individuals to participate in the new and safe hunting opportunities in accordance with Environment Conservation Law § 11-0935. A full copy of the proposed local law is available on the County website or by contacting the Clerk of the Board’s Office.
All persons interested in speaking concerning the proposed local law may attend the hearing via Zoom. The link will be provided on the County website at: www.co.delaware.ny.us or by calling the office of the Clerk of the Board at (607) 832-5110. To ensure that your comments are heard, they will also be accepted by email until 5 p.m. on Monday, May 24, 2021 to: email@example.com
Dated: May19, 2021
Christa M. Schafer
Clerk of the Board
Delaware County Board of Supervisors
Link information for the Zoom Meeting,
Meeting ID: 837 9658 6453
COUNTY OF DELAWARE
LOCAL LAW INTRO. NO. 16
LOCAL LAW AUTHORIZING 12 AND 13 YEAR OLD LICENSED HUNTERS TO HUNT DEER WITH A FIREARM OR CROSSBOW DURING HUNTING SEASON WITH THE SUPERVISION OF AN ADULT LICENSED HUNTER
BE IT ENACTED by the Delaware County Board of Supervisors as follows:
Section 1. Legislative Intent
The intent of this Local Law is to authorize Delaware County to permit 12 and 13 year old individuals to participate in the new and safe hunting opportunities in accordance with Environment Conservation Law § 11-0935. The enacted 2021-2022 New York State Budget, includes a pilot program, allowing the opportunity for young hunters, ages 12 and 13, to hunt deer with firearms and crossbow through 2023 if a county authorizes such action within their municipality. Delaware County is passing this local law as hunting is a valued tradition for many families, and this new opportunity allows experienced, adult hunters to introduce the value of hunting to the next generation. Furthermore, teaching young people safe, responsible, and ethical hunting practices will ensure a rewarding experience for the youth, while providing quality food to families and contributing to important deer management population control practices.
Section 2. Pilot Program Authorization
Pursuant to Environmental Conservation Law, ECL 11-0935, Delaware County elects to participate in the temporary program to allow for young hunters, ages twelve (12) and thirteen (13), to hunt deer with a firearm, to include rifles, shotguns, and muzzle loaded firearms or crossbow through 2023.
Section 3. State Requirements to Adhere Once Authorized
Twelve (12) and thirteen (13) year old licensed hunters shall be allowed to hunt deer with the following requirements to be followed:
- Twelve (12) and thirteen (13) year old licensed hunters shall be under the supervision of a licensed adult hunter, age 21 years or older, with a rifle, shotgun, or muzzle loading firearm in areas where and during the hunting season in which such firearms may be used; and
- Twelve (12) and thirteen (13) year old licensed hunters shall be allowed to hunt deer under the supervision of a licensed adult hunter, age 21 years or older, with a crossbow during the times when other hunters may use crossbows; and
- Supervision of a licensed adult hunter, age twenty-one (21) years or older, with at least three (3) years of experience who exercises dominion and control over the youth hunter at all times is required; and
- All licensed twelve (12) and thirteen (13) year old hunters as well as their adult supervisors shall be required to wear fluorescent orange or pink clothing while engaged in hunting to an extent and covering so designated pursuant to the law, rules, and regulations promulgated by the State of New York; and
- All licensed twelve (12) and thirteen (13) year old hunters shall remain at ground level while hunting deer with a crossbow, rifle, shotgun, or muzzleloader; and
- Notwithstanding any State or Federal Law to the contrary, this local law shall not authorize the hunting of bear by twelve (12) and thirteen (13) year old with a firearm or crossbow.
Section 4. Local Law Filing Requirements
A copy of this local law shall be sent to the New York State Department of Conservation as well as the NYS Department of State
Section 5. Severability
If any clause, sentence, paragraph, subdivision, section or part of this law, or the application thereof to any person, individual, corporation, firm, partnership, entity or circumstance shall be adjudged by any court of competent jurisdiction to be invalid or unconstitutional, such order or judgment shall not affect, impair, effect or invalidate the remainder thereof, but shall be confined in its operation to the clause, sentence, paragraph, subdivision, section or part of this law or in its application to the person, individual, corporation, firm, partnership, entity or circumstance directly involved in the controversy in which such order or judgment shall be rendered.
Section 5. Effective Date
This local law shall take effect immediately upon filing and publication in accordance with Section 27 of the Municipal Home Rule.